Radiation Physicist - Rolls Royce SMR
Derby – Hybrid Working (mainly remote)
£40,000 - £70,000 plus package
We are Rolls-Royce SMR and we’re doing something that’s never been done before - we’re revolutionising an industry. That’s a once-in-a-career opportunity for those excited by such a challenge. This is more than just a job; this is a legacy.
We are now recruiting for Radiation Physicists (at various levels of seniority) to be involved in delivering an industry leading, cutting-edge design project for a new type of power station.
Reporting to the Lead Radiation Protection and Shielding Engineer, the Radiation Physicists will be responsible for performing radiation physics analysis calculations in support of the design of the Small Modular Reactor. This will include some or all of the following:
- Building and developing radiation shielding models of the components and systems of the plant
- Performing dose rate and dose uptake assessments
- Generating gamma and neutron flux data, performing DPA and gamma heating calculations
- Performing neutron activation calculations
- Performing decay heat and burnup calculations
The role also involves monitoring progress of task activities and taking analysis tasks through the Gated Review (GR) process, providing support as necessary to ensure successful completion of the Generic Design Assessment (GDA) process. Senior / Principal level positions will also be responsible for regularly supervising and supporting junior colleagues in the progression of their work packages up to and including commissioning for first of a fleet and subsequent plants.
This role will thus ideally suit an individual with a strong academic background in Nuclear Engineering or Nuclear Reactor Physics and intending to, working towards or possessing of Chartered status. Relevant work experience or training in radiation physics and shielding, including significant experience with some or all of the following codes: MCNP, Attila, SCALE. Python scripting experience would also be desirable.
The role will be based in Derby, though most of the role can be performed remotely, with occasional (1-2 times/month) need to visit the office.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we’ll let you in on a secret: there’s no such thing as a perfect candidate. If you feel you meet 75% of the requirements for this role, we would love to hear from you.
Also, if you are considering a career move or a sector-jump, please get in touch, we welcome applications from people with transferable skills.
Key Selection Criteria
- Strong academic background in Nuclear Engineering or Nuclear Reactor Physics and intending to, working towards or possessing of Chartered status.
- Relevant work experience or training in radiation physics and shielding, including significant experience with some or all of the following codes: MCNP, Attila, SCALE. Python scripting experience would also be desirable.
- Good planning and organising skills to manage all activities and deliverables.
- Ability to integrate well within a project team in a commercial environment and communicate effectively within the team and external to the team. This will include working in collaboration with external partners and suppliers and communicating with regulators where required.
- Have knowledge and awareness of Export Control requirements
- Working with due regard to Health, Safety and Environment to ensure that work complies with all necessary corporate, business and legislative requirements and procedures.
Pay and Benefits
We anticipate a paying a salary of between £40,000 - £70,000, allied with a performance related bonus of up to 12.5%, an attractive pension scheme with 12% employer and 6% employee contributions and 28 days holiday. You will also receive a flexible benefits allowance of £2,200, enabling you to create a bespoke package to suit your needs.
We are Rolls-Royce SMR
Rolls-Royce SMR is a rare employer because it blends the world-class brand of Rolls Royce with an exciting start-up that has a hugely challenging mission. We’re doing work that contributes to the survival of the planet. Because of our mission, there’s a pace and energy that is palpable, and our leaders draw you in with their passion, energy, and determination.
We’re one of a handful of employers who can genuinely say we’re a strengths-based organisation – our people are here because of what makes them great, and our job is to help them make the best contribution of their careers doing work they love.
The start-up mentality coupled with our strengths-approach to people means there are opportunities to grow in ways and jobs you probably would be barred from doing in more traditional companies.
Each Rolls-Royce SMR power station will have the capacity to generate 470MW of low carbon energy, equivalent to more than 150 onshore wind turbines and enough to power a million homes. It will provide consistent baseload generation for at least 60 years, helping to support the roll out of renewable generation and overcome intermittency issues
At Rolls-Royce SMR, we are committed to ensuring that our teams reflect the communities we serve and that everyone can be themselves at work. We know that diverse teams are more innovative and get better results, and that our people can thrive and be more successful in truly inclusive cultures. Join us and help shape our culture. Find out more about our inclusion pledge.
Rolls-Royce SMR is a place where everyone can grow, so whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to come into work every day and help shape our culture.
Our Application Process
Due to the safety regulations within the nuclear industry, applicants will be required to participate in additional screening. These are:
- Obtaining Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) clearance
- Satisfactory completion of a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check
- Satisfactory completion of a basic financial probity check
Your candidate experience is at the utmost importance to us. If you are not yet ready to apply but would like to discuss any of the above or require any reasonable adjustments (e.g. being able to apply in a different format), please contact [email protected] to arrange a confidential conversation with a recruitment partner.