Derby, Warrington or Manchester/UK based – Hybrid/Remote
We are Rolls-Royce SMR and we’re doing something that’s never been done before. We’re revolutionising an industry. That’s a once-in-a-career opportunity for those excited by such a challenge. This is more than just a job this is a legacy.
We are now recruiting for the exciting role of Design Manager within Reactor Island Integration, to be involved in delivering an industry leading, cutting-edge design project for a new type of power station.
The Design Manager for Reactor Systems is accountable, to the Chief Design Engineer (CDE) for Reactor island (RI), for the timely delivery and the quality of output for the design and implementation of the reactor systems. This includes technical, programme delivery and leadership of assigned resource, both internal and in the supply chain. This is inclusive of the development of appropriate technical solutions and governance of the systems programme of work for the delivery of a sound safety justification and for accepting the validity of the technical solutions developed under their direction.
Key Results & Achievements
• Responsible and accountable for the development of design solutions, in line with best practice and to standard policies and processes, for nuclear reactor systems that meet all SMR project requirements. robust, low cost products that are optimised and integrate operational experience and lessons learnt.
• Develop robust, resourced plans for nuclear reactor systems design and ensure on time delivery, cost and quality is achieved for all project deliverables.
• Apply technical expertise, as nuclear reactor systems Technical Authority, to act as Intelligent Customer for any outsourced design solutions, and to be able to represent the CDE for Reactor Island for the nuclear reactor systems at SMR technical and project reviews.
• Understand the nature of the risks applicable to nuclear reactor systems and make decisions in accordance with this understanding and the programme risk profile. Clearly articulate the risks and manage as appropriate with the SMR project.
• Ensure that quality is maintained throughout the SMR project lifecycle by undertaking appropriate technical reviews and providing the required inputs to the main project technical review gates.
• Manage technical interfaces with other technical functions on the SMR project to ensure that a coherent technical solution is achieved.
• Manage and assess the nuclear reactor systems Designers’ performance and develop a continual improvement culture.
• Develop and implement verification & validation requirements at the various stages of design maturity.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But well let you in on a secret: theres no such thing as a perfect candidate. If you feel you meet 75% of the requirements for this role, we would love to hear from you. Also, if you are considering a career move or a sector-jump, please get in touch, we welcome applications from people with transferable skills.
Nuclear industry domain knowledge including:
• Pressurised Water Reactor (PWR) design, plant and behaviour,
• Environmental, Safety, Security and Safeguarding (E3S) regulations and principals (including application of As Low As Reasonably Practicable (ALARP) and Best Available Technique (BAT) principals).
Systems engineering essentials, including:
• Systems engineering tools and techniques (e.g. functional modelling, Function Means Analysis (FMA), decision analysis, Quality Function Deployment (QFD)), concept generation, assessment and selection.
• Requirements development (including development of structured Requirements, Evidence, Definition and Verification (REDV) data and information) and management.
Nuclear reactor systems design and operational knowledge including Relevant Good Practice (RGP) in:
• Nuclear steam raising systems including duty, safety and containment systems.
• Waste systems including Liquid waste treatment system, Gaseous waste treatment systems, solid waste treatment, and storage and disposal practices.
• Auxiliary systems including HVAC, chilled water, firefighting, services, etc
Leadership and management of a team
Pay and Benefits
A highly competitive salary is on offer along with a performance related bonus, very attractive pension scheme, and private medical insurance. You will also receive a flexible benefits allowance enabling you to create a bespoke package to suit your needs.
We are Rolls-Royce SMR
Rolls-Royce SMR is a rare employer because it blends the world-class brand of Rolls Royce with an exciting start-up that has a hugely challenging mission. We’re doing work that contributes to the survival of the planet. Because of our mission, there’s a pace and energy that is palpable, and our leaders draw you in with their passion, energy, and determination.
We’re one of a handful of employers who can genuinely say we’re a strengths-based organisation – our people are here because of what makes them great, and our job is to help them make the best contribution of their careers doing work they love.
The start-up mentality coupled with our strengths-approach to people means there are opportunities to grow in ways and jobs you probably would be barred from doing in more traditional companies.
Each Rolls-Royce SMR power station will have the capacity to generate 470MW of low carbon energy, equivalent to more than 150 onshore wind turbines and enough to power a million homes. It will provide consistent baseload generation for at least 60 years, helping to support the roll out of renewable generation and overcome intermittency issues
At Rolls-Royce SMR, we are committed to ensuring that our teams reflect the communities we serve and that everyone can be themselves at work. We know that diverse teams are more innovative and get better results, and that our people can thrive and be more successful in truly inclusive cultures. Join us and help shape our culture. Find out more about our inclusion pledge.
Rolls-Royce SMR is a place where everyone can grow, so whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to come into work every day and help shape our culture.
Our Application Process
Due to the safety regulations within the nuclear industry, applicants will be required to participate in additional screening. These are:
• Obtaining Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) clearance
• Satisfactory completion of a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check
• Satisfactory completion of a basic financial probity check
Your candidate experience is at the utmost importance to us. If you are not yet ready to apply but would like to discuss any of the above or require any reasonable adjustments (e.g. being able to apply in a different format), please contact us to arrange a confidential conversation with a recruitment partner.