Probabilistic Safety Assessment Engineer (PSA)
Probabilistic Safety Assessment Engineer
Manchester, Warrington or Derby – Hybrid Working
We are Rolls-Royce SMR and we’re doing something that’s never been done before. We’re revolutionising an industry. That’s a once-in-a-career opportunity for those excited by such a challenge. This is more than just a job this is a legacy.
We are now recruiting for the exciting role of Probabilistic Safety Assessment (PSA) Engineer, to be involved in the compliance for game changing technology within the nuclear industry.
As the PSA Engineer you will play a key role in developing and maintaining the Probabilistic Safety Assessment (PSA) delivery as part of the overall SMR programme.
This is a unique opportunity to inform the development and design of a nuclear
reactor that is the first of its kind.
This role will also offer the opportunity to expand into nuclear site licensing and supporting
non UK customers as the business continues to grow.
Key outcomes in the role
• Provide support to engineering disciplines in their decision-making process enabling them to use PSA as an input to choose between different design options that are under consideration.
• Ensure that the appropriate level of quality and governance is applied to PSA submissions.
• Develop PSA submissions for the development of the Environment, Safety, Security and Safeguards (E3S) Case and plan and manage PSA submissions for GDA.
• Represent the business at appropriate internal technical and project reviews and at external meetings with the regulator and other stakeholders.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But well let you in on a secret: theres no such thing as a perfect candidate. If you feel you meet 75% of the requirements for this role, we would love to hear from you.
Also, if you are considering a career move or a sector-jump, please get in touch, we welcome applications from people with transferable skills.
Key Selection Criteria
• Knowledge of the development and application of PSA to nuclear facilities, preferably to a complex facility such as an operating Nuclear Power Plant (includes Level 1, Level 2 and Level 3 PSA).
• Experience in the use of PSA to support the design of a Nuclear Power Plant (risk informed design).
• Experience in PSA techniques such as development and application of fault trees, event trees, reliability data analysis, internal and external hazards.
• Familiarity with PSA software analysis tools, particularly Risk Spectrum.
• Experience of working closely with engineering teams to develop an integrated engineering and safety solution.
Pay and Benefits
We anticipate a paying salary of between £40,000 - £50,000, a performance related bonus of up to x%, an attractive pension scheme with 12% employer and 6% employee contributions. You will also receive a flexible benefits allowance of £2,200, enabling you to create a bespoke package to suit your needs.
We are Rolls-Royce SMR
Rolls-Royce SMR is a rare employer because it blends the world-class brand of Rolls Royce with an exciting start-up that has a hugely challenging mission. We’re doing work that contributes to the survival of the planet. Because of our mission, there’s a pace and energy that is palpable, and our leaders draw you in with their passion, energy, and determination.
We’re one of a handful of employers who can genuinely say we’re a strengths-based organisation – our people are here because of what makes them great, and our job is to help them make the best contribution of their careers doing work they love.
The start-up mentality coupled with our strengths-approach to people means there are opportunities to grow in ways and jobs you probably would be barred from doing in more traditional companies.
Each Rolls-Royce SMR power station will have the capacity to generate 470MW of low carbon energy, equivalent to more than 150 onshore wind turbines and enough to power a million homes. It will provide consistent baseload generation for at least 60 years, helping to support the roll out of renewable generation and overcome intermittency issues
At Rolls-Royce SMR, we are committed to ensuring that our teams reflect the communities we serve and that everyone can be themselves at work. We know that diverse teams are more innovative and get better results, and that our people can thrive and be more successful in truly inclusive cultures. Join us and help shape our culture. Find out more about our inclusion pledge.
Rolls-Royce SMR is a place where everyone can grow, so whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to come into work every day and help shape our culture.
Our Application Process
Due to the safety regulations within the nuclear industry, applicants will be required to participate in additional screening. These are:
• Obtaining Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) clearance
• Satisfactory completion of a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check
• Satisfactory completion of a basic financial probity check
Your candidate experience is at the utmost importance to us. If you are not yet ready to apply but would like to discuss any of the above or require any reasonable adjustments (e.g. being able to apply in a different format), please contact email@example.com to arrange a confidential conversation with a recruitment partner.