Senior Legal COunsel
Job Title & Location
Senior Legal Advisor
This is more than just a job; this is a legacy.
Legal Advisor to the Business, a key role as No. 2 to the Head of Legal within the legal team, part of the General Counsel Directorate. To support the Head of Legal, advise the Business, draft and prepare
Rolls-Royce SMR was established with one clear goal - to deliver clean, affordable energy for all.
Rolls-Royce SMR offers a radically different approach to delivering nuclear power. A 90% factory-built solution, drastically reducing project risk, shortening construction times and increasing delivery certainty.
The Rolls-Royce SMR is a world-class global product for a global market - using established nuclear technology developed by a UK-based team building on decades of engineering, manufacturing and nuclear reactor design experience.
About the position
- Provide accurate. Relevant and timely advice to the Business on a variety of legal topics and broad range of transactions and commercial agreements
- Draft and negotiate various commercial contracts and agreements including significant Supply Chain and engineering services agreements, template agreements, NDAs, Performance Bonds, Parent Guarantees and other collateral contracts
- Manage and mitigate legal risk including drafting and implementing company policy, process and procedures and reviewing contracts, documenting key contractual clauses and summarising key legal risks
- Oversight role ensuring compliance with all relevant laws and regulations applicable to the Business
- Promote legal compliance and risk management best practice across the Business and project
- Maintain up-to-date an understanding of and changes to legislation and regulatory environment applicable to the Business
- Communicate with and manage relevant third-party bodies including external counsel and regulators
- Support drafting of team policies and processes and the design and provision of Legal training / guidance relevant to the Business
- Preparing legal research and presenting findings
- Preparation of presentations (including PowerPoint) and reports
- Oversight role for document management, facilitating electronic signatures and filing all contracts within the document management system, support data privacy management systems
- Work collaboratively at all levels in the Business
- Law degree
- Qualified Solicitor or Barrister with a minimum of 7/8 years PQE.
- Inhouse experience preferred but not essential
- Commercial and transactional experience, preferably from working in a manufacturing, engineering or technology business, or in infrastructure, construction, energy, nuclear or other similar regulated sectors
- Background in drafting, reviewing and negotiating variety of Supply Chain goods and services commercial contracts and agreements
- Knowledge, from a commercial contracting perspective, in areas of IP, Data Protection, insurance and compliance gained through experience of managing and mitigating risk in procuring Supply Chain goods and services
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office 365 suite
- Ideally UK qualified, open to foreign qualified (possibly looking to re qualify in UK) but fluent in English
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Team player
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. If you feel you meet 75% of the requirements for this role, we would love to hear from you.
Also, if you are considering a career move or a sector-jump, please get in touch, we welcome applications from people with transferable skills.
Pay and Benefits
A highly competitive salary is on offer along with a performance related bonus.
A range of flexible benefits are available to choose from, enabling you to create a bespoke package to suit your needs.
Travel: the location of work can be either Derby or Warrington.
Flexible working / hybrid and remote working patterns are available with agreement.
Working hours are 37.5 hrs per week with some additional hours as and when required.
Who we are
Rolls-Royce SMR’s small modular reactor (SMR) programme is the first of its kind in the UK.
A Rolls-Royce SMR power station will have the capacity to generate 470mw of low-carbon energy, equivalent to more than 150 onshore wind turbines. It will provide consistent baseload generation for at least 60 years, helping achieve the Government’s target of 24GW of nuclear energy by 2050.
In addition to stable base load power, Rolls-Royce SMRs will be able to provide energy for the manufacture of green hydrogen and synthetic fuels, to support the path to Net Zero and the decarbonisation of transport.
Out technology is based upon well-established Pressurised Water Reactor (PWR) technology, in use all over the world, but Rolls-Royce SMR’s unique approach will see the reactor components built in factory conditions and assembled on site.
Our factory-built model is entirely scalable, as demand increases, we invest in further factories using the same design and management systems used for all our SMRs.
When fully operational the Rolls-Royce SMR programme is forecast to create 40,000 regional UK jobs by 2050 and generate £52bn in economic benefit.
Having begun the design assessment process with the UK regulators, the organisation is at a point where it needs to significantly increase its workforce, offering candidates the opportunity to work with cutting edge technology within a world-class team.
How to apply
Rolls-Royce SMR is an equal opportunities employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
However you identify or whatever your path here, please apply if you see a position that interests or excites you. Come join us and help us build a global company where we're all proud to belong. Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate.
Rolls-Royce SMR is a place where everyone can grow, so whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to come into work every day.
If you are not yet ready to apply, but would like to find out more, please contact email@example.com to arrange a confidential conversation with a recruitment partner.