Digital Manufacturing Manager
Digital Manufacturing Manager
Hybrid working and Derby or Warrington
This is more than just a job; this is a legacy.
Rolls-Royce SMR was established with one clear goal - to deliver clean, affordable energy for all.
Rolls-Royce SMR offers a radically different approach to delivering nuclear power. A 90% factory-built solution, drastically reducing project risk, shortening construction times and increasing delivery certainty.
The Rolls-Royce SMR is a world-class global product for a global market - using established nuclear technology developed by a UK-based team building on decades of engineering, manufacturing and nuclear reactor design experience.
About the position
Reporting to the SMR Chief Manufacturing Engineer, the Digital Manufacturing Manager will work within the SMR Manufacturing Engineering team that is responsible for the design, development and delivery of manufacturing methods, capabilities and factory solutions to meet the SMR business needs.
The Digital Manufacturing Manager will be primarily responsible for leading the design, development and implementation of the manufacturing systems in support of the creation of manufacturing capabilities and factories for the manufacture of nuclear pressure vessel and plant module products. They will lead a small team to develop and create the processes and capabilities to meet the overall SMR business requirements, demonstrating these capabilities through pre-production and into production.
This is a rare opportunity for an experienced and well-motivated manufacturing systems engineer to join a team within a fledgling organisation setting up new manufacturing capability in the UK.
Qualifications and Experience:
- A Degree qualification in one or more of the engineering disciplines of electrical, electronics, instrumentation, controls, mechanical and physics. Additionally, applicants without a degree who can nevertheless demonstrate suitable experience may also be considered.
- Knowledge of the nuclear or other high integrity industries is beneficial.
- Knowledge and experience of complex safety critical systems or industrial process plants is beneficial.
- Knowledge of Functional Safety standards such as IEC 61508 and 61513 is beneficial.
- Able to define and communicate the Digital Manufacturing Systems vision, technical strategy and business case for Digital Manufacturing Systems within and across businesses.
- Identify the requirements for manufacturing systems through working with the wider Manufacturing Engineering and Engineering teams and in alignment with the Digital manufacturing strategy.
- Develop options and propose selection of preferred manufacturing systems to meet the needs of the SMR manufacturing businesses, staying aligned to the wider SMR digital strategy.
- Able to influence Information Security policy and procedure relating to Manufacturing Systems.
- Demonstrate how the manufacturing digital systems can be integrated within manufacturing and manufacturing engineering processes and prove these are capable ahead of business need.
- To influence software vendors on Digital Manufacturing Systems development roadmaps to meet emerging business requirements and close identified capability gaps.
- Able to approve Digital Manufacturing Systems content across enterprise level projects.
- Identify the wider team training needs and support network for manufacturing systems and plan and implement a support structure in the manufacturing business.
- Devise standards, frameworks and best practice methods for manufacturing system delivery.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. If you feel you meet 75% of the requirements for this role, we would love to hear from you.
Pay and Benefits
A highly competitive salary is on offer along with a performance related bonus.
A range of flexible benefits are available to choose from, enabling you to create a bespoke package to suit your needs.
Travel: the location of work is Derby or Warrington.
Flexible working / hybrid and remote working patterns are available with agreement.
Working hours are 37.5 hrs per week with some additional hours as and when required.
Who we are?
Rolls-Royce SMR’s small modular reactor (SMR) programme is the first of its kind in the UK.
A Rolls-Royce SMR power station will have the capacity to generate 470mw of low-carbon energy, equivalent to more than 150 onshore wind turbines. It will provide consistent baseload generation for at least 60 years, helping achieve the Government’s target of 24GW of nuclear energy by 2050.
In addition to stable base load power, Rolls-Royce SMRs will be able to provide energy for the manufacture of green hydrogen and synthetic fuels, to support the path to Net Zero and the decarbonisation of transport.
Out technology is based upon well-established Pressurised Water Reactor (PWR) technology, in use all over the world, but Rolls-Royce SMR’s unique approach will see the reactor components built in factory conditions and assembled on site.
Our factory-built model is entirely scalable, as demand increases, we invest in further factories using the same design and management systems used for all our SMRs.
When fully operational the Rolls-Royce SMR programme is forecast to create 40,000 regional UK jobs by 2050 and generate £52bn in economic benefit.
Having begun the design assessment process with the UK regulators, the organisation is at a point where it needs to significantly increase its workforce, offering candidates the opportunity to work with cutting edge technology within a world-class team.
How to apply
Rolls-Royce SMR is an equal opportunities employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
However you identify or whatever your path here, please apply if you see a position that interests or excites you. Come join us and help us build a global company where we're all proud to belong. Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate.
Rolls-Royce SMR is a place where everyone can grow, so whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to come into work every day.
If you are not yet ready to apply, but would like to find out more, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a confidential conversation with a recruitment partner.