CTO / Head of Technology
Climate change and its consequences are one of the greatest challenges ever to face mankind. We are searching for a Technology leader at CTO/Director level to enable Rolls Royce SMR to make a significant mid-term contribution to the solution.
At Rolls-Royce SMR, our vision is simple – we want to provide clean, affordable energy for all. Our Small Modular Reactor is an integrated power station, that takes well understood, existing nuclear technology and applies a factory-based philosophy to its fabrication and assembly. This repeatable, standardised approach generates huge efficiency gains to make it a commoditised product that is affordable, repeatable, deliverable, and investable on a global scale, providing cheaper and more flexible electricity to form part of a future balanced, clean energy mix. Launched in November 2021, Rolls-Royce SMR is an independent company with ambitious plans for growth, creating 40,000 regional UK jobs by 2050 and generating £52bn in economic benefit. Join us and help to provide clean, affordable energy for all.
This is an exciting and important role in the business with reporting lines of seven discipline leads currently across: Digital Engineering, Architecture, Project Services, IT Services, Transformation, PMO and Cyber Security. The team will grow significantly through 2022 and in to 2023. The role holder will work closely with the Executive Leadership Team and senior stakeholders in Rolls Royce Group and RR SMR develops its foundations and infrastructure.
The role holder will create secure business systems architecture and the implementation of an environment capable of rapid scale increase with a user base of internal (from 300 up to 3000) and external (up to 40,000) employees/supply chain colleagues.
Key outcomes are to ensure manufacturing and business systems are capable of scale for large complex high-value manufacturing processes upon first orders of SMR technology.
Qualifications & Experience
• Significant experience in a Director level IT leadership role – either working near CIO level or capable of that progress over 3-5 years
• Familiarity with large-scale capital-intensive programmes of a similar nature to Nuclear Project Lifecycles
• Major industry background in some capacity, ideally high-value complex engineering/manufacturing (rail, aerospace, nuclear, automotive)
• Delivery experience in a multi-supplier and SI environment
• We are an equal opportunities employer. We believe that embracing difference makes us stronger. Our diverse people bring us different skills – whatever their educational background, disability, gender, age, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief.
• We welcome applications from individuals who have taken an extended career break or those who are transitioning from different sectors.
• Travel: Contracted location of work is in Manchester or Derby although we operate a hybrid working policy allowing you to work remotely with the agreement of your leader, though may require some travel within the working day when visiting other branches or organisations.
• Working hours: 37.5 hrs per week are standard office hours with some overtime as required.
Employment reward package
We offer a competitive salary, performance related bonus, flexible benefits, and the Rolls Royce pension scheme.