Assistant Project Manager
Rolls-Royce SMR is a start-up joint special purpose vehicle (SPV) business, specifically created to design, construct and deliver a new fleet of Small Modular Reactors power plants that will be a critical and strategic player in the race to Net Zero carbon emissions globally. Spun out of Rolls-Royce with its pedigree in engineering excellence but also attracting world class inward investment this is an exciting new business with an optimistic opportunity to be a global player in the coming years.
This role, reporting to a Delivery Programme Manager, will assist in the development and implementation of succinct projects / work packages for the RR SMR business. This role, within the Generic Design Assessment (GDA) Delivery team will work closely with functions, such as the Generic GDA Delivery, Engineering, Supply Chain and Project Management Office teams in supporting the delivery of the work packages. The Assistant Project Manager will assist in the development of the overall approach for the work packages, its overall timescales and the definition, development, and delivery of its major deliverables to meet the objectives of the overall Programme.
- Assist in the development of the overall approach for the work packages, including major timescales, budget and the definition of its major deliverables.
- Support the creation and maintenance of the required project documentation.
- Assist and support the controlling of the work package budgets and manage expenditure within agreed spending plans.
- Support meetings both internal and external (with Regulators and Suppliers)
- Assist in data collection, development, key performance indicators (KPIs) and analysis to enable proper decision making and goal setting.
- Help to manage the monthly reporting cycle for the project/work package, ensuring all progress updates and narratives are developed.
- Support the oversight of work package execution, and tracking their progress compared with the performance measurement baseline.
- Support with risk and issue identification and mitigation planning at both work package and programme level.
- Monitor and coordinate dependencies across the project/work package.
- Liaising closely with the commercial and risk functions to ensure an integrated approach to scope, cost, resource, and schedule control.
- Support the development of change control requests when required and work with PMO to process through appropriate governance.
- Ensuring that the vision, mission, and values are upheld and become part of the culture of the business.
- Support in building a culture of project and programme delivery across the organisation.
- Help to capture lessons learnt and knowledge and support the drive in continuous improvement in programme delivery.
- Actively contribute to the development and execution of Programme and Project Management good practice corporately.
- Project Management or Engineering Diploma Qualified.
- (Working to) Member of the Association of Project Management (APM) or similar.
- Complex project delivery experience, either in an engineering design environment or large Turnkey construction Projects. Ideally the candidate would have some experience of working in a Regulated environment.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills including influencing.
- Results focused with the ability to meet commitments and deadlines.
- Logical thinking, highly organized with attention to detail, high level of analytical and numerate skills.