External Test Capability Engineer
Rolls-Royce SMR is a start-up joint special purpose vehicle (SPV) business, specifically created to design, construct and deliver a new fleet of Small Modular Reactors power plants that will be a critical and strategic player in the race to Net Zero carbon emissions globally. Spun out of Rolls-Royce with its pedigree in engineering excellence but also attracting world class inward investment this is an exciting new business with an optimistic opportunity to be a global player in the coming years.
The Development Engineering organisation is accountable for proving that the SMR power station design meets its objectives and requirements. The organisation’s remit includes defining the Verification Strategy for the power station, and also executing any verification activities that involve testing - these range from laboratory-type tests through to highly complex system-level rig tests in some world-leading facilities.
This is a once in a generation opportunity to be at the centre of proving the design of a new nuclear power station and establishing a world-class testing programme. Talented individuals are invited to join the innovative, dynamic, and open culture of the SMR Test Capability Team to deliver this opportunity.
Reporting to the External Test Capability Manager, the Test Capability Engineer is responsible for developing and maintaining a network of testing suppliers for a broad range of component, system and materials test programmes. The role involves identifying testing capability in external organisations and matching it to the testing needs of the SMR Development Programme for over 20 individual safety-related and programme-critical test programmes. Capability in this context comprises expertise, rigs, processes, methods and facilities. The role requires engagement with a wide variety of private and government organisations across the global supply chain.
- Create and develop a network of suppliers of testing and experimental capability, including acting as point of contact for technical and engineering interactions with the supply chain.
- Define testing requirements (in conjunction with the test capability teams) and match them to the capabilities of various suppliers through a structured process.
- Develop understanding of test facilities and organisations, and feed information on testing capability into the test rig designers, to help optimise test programmes.
- Build effective working relationships with a wide range of domestic and international supply chain organisations
- Manage transfer of information to and from suppliers in accordance with Export Control, Security and Commercial rules and regulations
- Conduct technical appraisals and audits of prospective suppliers as part of an overall supplier appraisal process.
- Identify opportunities to deliver programme cost and schedule reductions through improvement in the way testing is done.
- Work closely with the SMR Procurement and Quality teams to identify, onboard and manage suppliers
- Work collaboratively with internal teams and supply chain organisations to achieve results
- Apply appropriate process governance to all activities in accordance with the RR SMR programme management system
Key Qualifications & Experience
- Qualified to a minimum of degree level in engineering, physical sciences, or a related discipline
- Chartered Engineer (CEng) or equivalent.
- Experience of working collaboratively with suppliers to develop innovative solutions to complex technical challenges
- Good general experience of developing a supply chain organisation including awareness of legal, commercial and contractual considerations.
- Experience in design, build or operation of test rigs and/or experimental facilities
- A general understanding of nuclear engineering associated with power reactors is desirable