Methods Integration Engineer
Methods Integration Engineer
Location: Hybrid working – remote and Warrington/Derby
Rolls-Royce SMR is a start-up joint special purpose vehicle (SPV) business, specifically created to design, construct and deliver a new fleet of Small Modular Reactors power plants that will be a critical and strategic player in the race to Net Zero carbon emissions globally.
Reporting to the Reactor Plant Analysis Methods Integration Lead, successful candidates will work closely with the reactor plant analysis and code validations teams to understand the technical requirements of the various analysis methods in order to develop tools, systems and process to facilitate an efficient analysis programme.
The role will involve implementing and managing software development tools and processes, the development of pre and post processing tools, facilitating efficient and controlled data transfer between analysis methods and managing the cloud-based platform to host the analysis methods.
The methods integration engineers will be required develop close working relationships with performance analysts from across the reactor plant development programme, covering multiple engineering disciplines, in order to determine and implement an integrate framework of tools, process, databases that expedite the analysis programmes.
Successful candidates are required to have experience in software development processes and tools, including excellent knowledge of control systems (Git) and a strong ability to code in Python.
- Work with the reactor plant analysis and validations teams to understand the technical requirements of the reactor plant analysis methods in order to develop tools, systems and processes to facilitate an efficient analysis programme.
- Work with the IT department to appropriately manage and define the cloud based computing platform (AZURE), including the selection and management of remote machines and setting up frameworks for efficient parallel processing.
- Support the Methods Integration Lead in delivering a suite of tools that expedites the analysis programmes, including facilitating efficient and controlled data transfers and formal coupling of code where appropriate.
- Develop and manage the tool set required to enable an efficient analysis work stream, including development of pre and post processing tools, common databases and workflow management.
- Engage with external communities which are leading best practise on method development and those that have expertise in coupling analysis methods typically used within the nuclear industry.
- Understand and articulate technical and programme risks, managing them as appropriate with the Methods Integration Lead.
- Work with due regard to Health, Safety and Environment. Comply with corporate, business and legislative requirements. Champion company values, including Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Qualified to degree level or equivalent in Physics, Engineering or a related discipline.
- Chartered with a relevant professional institute (or equivalent professional accreditation).
- Knowledge of software development tools and process, including Git.
- Knowledge of reactor plant analysis methods and process, including familiarity with key toolsets involved in analysing core physics, plant thermal hydraulics, stress assessments and severe accident analyses.
- Experience in delivering and leading method integration activities and/or software development programmes.
- Experience developing software code in Python.
- Planning and organising skills to manage programme activities and deliverables.
- Ability to communicate effectively with any audience, quickly establishing credibility and buy-in.