Containment Thermal Analyst
Containment Thermal Analyst
Location: Hybrid working – remote and Warrington/Derby
Rolls-Royce SMR is a start-up joint special purpose vehicle (SPV) business, specifically created to design, construct and deliver a new fleet of Small Modular Reactors power plants that will be a critical and strategic player in the race to Net Zero carbon emissions globally.
Reporting to the Reactor Plant Performance Lead, the Containment Thermal Analyst will be responsible for the technical delivery of the thermal and hydraulic performance analysis to verify containment conditions and heat removal during faulted and severe accident operations.
The role will involve working alongside the systems design, LOCA analysis and Severe Accident Analysis teams to understand the technical nature of the reactor plant design and produce thermal hydraulic analyses which characterises system performance, informs intelligent design decisions and ultimately verifies the performance and safety of the final design.
The successful candidate will provide lead the delivery of containment analysis which supports design development of the LOCA and severe accident systems, informs code validation activities and ultimately underpins the reactor plant safety case during Generic Design Assessment (GDA) by the Office of Nuclear Regulation (ONR). This will include the development of robust and validated analysis methods using industry standard approaches, the creation and management of representative models in the analysis code GOTHIC, and assessment of transient performance during faulted and safety systems operations.
The Containment Thermal Analyst will have expertise in thermal hydraulic analysis of reactor plant designs and familiarity with nuclear plant analysis codes (including GOTHIC).
- Work with the plant design engineers to understand the technical nature of the reactor plant as well as the evidence required to inform technical decision making verify plant performance.
- Define and manage requirement traceability from design through to analysis, models and method validation.
- Ensure appropriate quality is achieved in designated aspects of the analysis programme.
- Work alongside the method validation lead to ensure appropriate method validation is in place at each analysis stage, and provide technical expertise into the code validation programme and rig design programmes.
- Develop and deliver detailed plans for the assigned technical discipline.
- Act as technical authority for containment analysis internal and external to the company.
- Understand and articulate technical and programme risks, managing them as appropriate with the Reactor Plant Performance Lead.
- Interface with EPRI as company representative for GOTHIC and containment thermal analyses.
- Work with due regard to Health, Safety and Environment. Comply with corporate, business and legislative requirements. Champion company values, including Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Qualified to degree level or equivalent in Physics, Engineering or a related discipline.
- Chartered with a relevant professional institute (or equivalent professional accreditation).
- Excellent knowledge of reactor plant thermal and hydraulic behaviour and associated analysis approaches.
- Experience in delivering and leading thermal analysis programmes in support of design development from initial concept through to detailed design definition.
- Planning and organising skills to manage programme activities and deliverables.
- Ability to communicate effectively with any audience, quickly establishing credibility and buy-in.