Project Manager - Rolls Royce SMR
Role: Project Manager - Rolls Royce Small Modular Reactors (SMR)
Location: Largely based from home with some travel to Derby and/or Warrington
Salary: Competitive + excellent benefits including bonus and good pension
Start Date: May 2022 onwards
Duration: Long-term permanent role with excellent future career and salary development opportunities
Morson are working exclusively with Rolls Royce SMR to recruit a Project Manager to join a team based in either Derby or Warrington to form part of their core team for their Small Modular Reactors power plants programme. This individual will play a pivotal role in the development and engineering of SMR technology through a complex lifecycle, with the intent of delivering a clean energy solution which can deliver cost competitive and scalable net zero power for multiple applications.
Whilst largely based from home, this roles will require occasional travel to Warrington and/or Derby.
This role will be focussed on the non-engineering aspects of the SMR programme, including operational readiness and business change. It would thus ideally suit a dynamic individual with a number of years experience in Project Management, a strategic focus and good communication and stakeholder management skills who is experiecned in providing cross-business support. Experience obtained within complex, multi-disciplinary project environment would be useful, though other backgrounds (e.g. business change) would be considered.
Possession of, or working towards formal Project Management qualifications (e.g. Prince 2, APM, PMP) would be advantageous though not essential to being considered.
Candidates should be well-versed in:
- Reporting / putting together data
- Managing Budgets
- Risk Management and scheduling (i.e. know how to pull together a basic schedule)
This role, reporting to the Delivery Programme Manager, will assist in the development and implementation and of succinct work packages for the RR SMR business. This role will work closely with functions such as Engineering, Supply Chain and Project Management Office in supporting the delivery of the work packages. The Project Manager will assist in the development of the overall approach for the projects / work packages, its overall timescales and the definition, development, and delivery of its major deliverables to meet the objectives of the overall Programme.
Key Knowledge and Responsibilities
- Project management lead for a specific project/work package (s) or CBS areas the development of scope, schedule, budget and the definition of its major deliverables.
- Support the integrated project team with development of an appropriate strategy for the development and delivery of the project/work package work scope.
- Support the creation and maintenance of the required project documentation.
- Coordinate internal and external resources, ensuring project/work package(s) remain within scope, schedule, and defined budgets, in collaboration with project team members from various functional departments.
- In conjunction with Programme Managers as appropriate, undertake oversight of work package execution, and tracking their progress compared with the performance measurement baseline.
- Work with Work Package Leads/Functional Leads in the controlling of the work package budgets and manage expenditure within agreed spending plans.
- Analyse project progress and, when necessary, adapt scope, schedules, and costs to ensure that project team adheres to project requirements.
- Lead in project/work package data collection, development and analysis to enable proper decision making and goal setting.
- Manage the monthly reporting cycle for the project/work package, ensuring all progress updates and narratives are developed.
- Lead risk and issue identification and mitigation planning and ensure the project/work package risk register is kept up to date.
- Monitor and coordinate dependencies between projects/work packages and resolve conflicts.
- Develop change control requests when required and work with PMO to process through appropriate governance.
- Ensuring appropriate governance functions for the work package(s)/projects are maintained in accordance with target operating model.
- Support overall programme level reporting across projects/work packages where required.
- Establish and maintain relationships with key project/work package stakeholders, providing day-to-day contact on project status and changes.
- Liaising closely with the PMO functions to ensure an integrated approach to scope, cost, resource, and schedule control.
- Help to build a culture of project and programme delivery across the organisation.
- Ensuring that the vision, mission, and values are upheld and become part of the culture of the business.
- Ensure that lessons learnt and knowledge capture are practiced as business as usual to support drive continuous improvement in programme delivery.
- Actively contribute to the development and execution of Programme and Project Management good practice corporately.
- Understands the principle of “right first time” – particular in relation to Quality Assurance
- Encourages the practices of Knowledge and Document Management
- Digitally Savvy
- Aware of and abides by procurement processes and values
- Displays Accountable “above the line” behaviours at all times
- At all times promotes Nuclear Safety and wider Health & Safety as the standard
- Role Models the Values and Beliefs of the Company
- Ensures that the ethical decisions are made
- Is a role model in the Company’s attainment of ED&I Charter and Policy Standards
- Consistently contribute and nurture good teamworking throughout the organisation
- Self-driven and motivated and seeks to motivate others
- Commercially Astute
- Financially Astute
- Understands and applies appropriate Corporate Governance to decision making
- Understands appropriate Commercial and Corporate law decision making
- Communicate and collaborate with Engineering Leads and other cross functional departments
- Aware of the fiscal and fiduciary duties
- Understands the appropriate level of Risk in the Company
- Has a grasp of and implications of Public Relations
- Astute in Government & Regulatory Affairs
- Strong leadership qualities to ensure project teams delivery effectively
Qualifications and Experience
- Project Management or Engineering Diploma Qualified
- Possessing of, or working towards Member of the Association of Project Management (APM) or similar.
- Complex project delivery experience, either in an engineering design environment or large Turnkey construction Projects.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills including influencing.
- Results focused with the ability to meet commitments and deadlines.
- Logical thinking, highly organized with attention to detail, high level of analytical and numerate skills
For the right candidate, SMR can offer a competitive salary + an excellent benefits package, excellent long-term career development opportunities, as well the opportunity to work on a cutting-edge programme that will be a critical and strategic player in the global race to Net Zero carbon emissions.
MORSON TALENT, part of the Morson Group, are the leading TECHNICAL & ENGINEERING RECRUITMENT COMPANY in the UK specialising in Technical Support to the following industries: Nuclear, Power Generation, Aerospace, Rail, Marine, Petrochemical & Construction