Team Leader - Test Rig Fluid Systems Design
Team Leader – Test Rig Fluid Systems Design
Location: Hybrid working – remote and Warrington/Derby
Rolls-Royce SMR is a start-up joint special purpose vehicle (SPV) business, specifically created to design, construct and deliver a new fleet of Small Modular Reactors power plants that will be a critical and strategic player in the race to Net Zero carbon emissions globally.
The Development Engineering organisation is accountable for proving that the SMR power station design meets its objectives and requirements. This encompasses not just the domain of nuclear engineering, but the broader range of engineering functions necessary to deliver a major infrastructure project. The team’s remit includes defining the Verification Strategy for the power station, and also executing any verification activities that involve testing - and these range from laboratory-type tests through to highly complex system-level rig tests in some world-leading facilities.
This is a once in a generation opportunity to be at the centre of proving the design of a new nuclear power station and establishing a world class testing capability. Talented individuals are invited to join the innovative, dynamic, and open culture of the SMR Test Capability Team to deliver this opportunity.
Reporting to the Test Capability Manager, the Team Leader for Test Rig Fluid Systems Design will be responsible for building, maintaining, and leading a team of design engineers developing a variety of exciting and complex thermal hydraulic test rigs to verify the design of the SMRs innovative passive Reactor Safety Systems.
- Build and maintain a capable team of fluid systems engineers to develop test rigs from preliminary concept through to detailed design and to support implementation and operation. This will require a combination of recruitment and sub-contract.
- Develop the team members to be at their best, through coaching, training, and performance management.
- Provide technical leadership and supervision to support the generation of:
- Rig requirements.
- Engineering assessments such as fluid flow analyses to determine system pressure drops, define pump head/flow requirements, size vessels and define heat exchanger requirements.
- Safety assessments such as HAZOPs and FMECAs to ensure the test rigs are safe by design.
- Design documentations such as P&IDs, system descriptions and operating philosophies.
- Provide technical leadership, to set a high standard in the application of systems and process engineering techniques, including trade-off studies to ensure optimum test rig designs are produced.
- Develop robust plans for the team and manage technical work packages to ensure the team delivers against its commitments.
- Understand and articulate design and programme risks, managing them as appropriate with the Test Capability Manager.
- Represent the Test Capability Manager at technical and programme reviews.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Qualified to degree level or equivalent in engineering, physical sciences, or a related discipline.
- Chartered Engineer (or equivalent) or working towards professional accreditation.
- Good knowledge of fluid-mechanics and thermodynamic fundamentals.
- Process system design experience, including responsibility for technical, project and people leadership in a relevant field. This could be gained from any process plant industry.
- Familiarity with systems engineering principles is desirable.
For more information please apply online or send your CV to Joe Guy at Morson Talent