Test Rig C&I Expert
Test Rig C&I Expert
Location: Hybrid working – remote and Warrington/Derby
Rolls-Royce SMR is a start-up joint special purpose vehicle (SPV) business, specifically created to design, construct and deliver a new fleet of Small Modular Reactors power plants that will be a critical and strategic player in the race to Net Zero carbon emissions globally.
The Development Engineering organisation is accountable for proving that the SMR power station design meets its objectives and requirements. This encompasses not just the domain of nuclear engineering, but the broader range of engineering functions necessary to deliver a major infrastructure project. The team’s remit includes defining the Verification Strategy for the power station, and also executing any verification activities that involve testing - and these range from laboratory-type tests through to highly complex system-level rig tests in some world-leading facilities.
This is a once in a generation opportunity to be at the centre of proving the design of a new nuclear power station and establishing a world class testing capability. Talented individuals are invited to join the innovative, dynamic, and open culture of the SMR Test Capability Team to deliver this opportunity.
Reporting to the Test Capability Manager, the Test Rig Controls and Instrumentation Expert will be responsible for the technical delivery of the C&I aspects of the SMR test rigs. The role will involve providing technical expertise for a multidisciplinary engineering team to develop test rig designs through a gated review process, providing technical guidance and supervision, and engaging with internal and external stakeholders.
There are opportunities within the RR SMR programme to contribute to the design of a variety of exciting and complex test rigs which are required to verify the design of the SMR power station’s systems. Tests include challenging thermal-hydraulic rigs and mechanical demonstrators.
- Provide subject matter expertise in C&I design for a multidisciplinary engineering team to develop test rigs from preliminary concept through to detailed design, supporting implementation, and operation; this will require the use of systems and process engineering techniques to ensure that an optimum design is produced.
- Provide guidance and supervision to Rig C&I Design Engineers to support the generation of: Rig requirements.
Engineering assessments for: C&I architectures, systems design, control laws, user interfaces, instrumentation selection and characterisation, data storage and analysis.
Safety assessments such as HAZOPs and FMECAs to ensure the test rigs are safe by design. Design documentation such as P&IDs, system descriptions and operating philosophies.
- Ensure quality is maintained throughout the design process by undertaking local technical reviews.
- Ensure compliance with applicable codes and standards.
- Act as technical authority for test rig C&I and participate in technical and project reviews when required.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Qualified to degree level or equivalent in engineering, physical sciences, or a related discipline.
- Chartered Engineer (or equivalent) or working towards professional accreditation.
- Good knowledge of the design and implementation of Control and Instrumentation systems for bespoke applications.
- Knowledge and experience of complex safety critical systems or industrial process plant is beneficial, including responsibility for technical leadership in the relevant field.
- Familiarity with systems engineering principles is desirable