Research and Technology Manager
Morson Talent are working in partnership with Rolls Royce SMR to recruit a Research and Technology Manager. This is an exciting opportunity whereby you will champion the adoption of future SMR technologies.
Hybrid working is available with an office location at either Warrington or Derby.
Rolls-Royce SMR is a start-up joint special purpose vehicle (SPV) business, specifically created to design, construct and deliver a new fleet of Small Modular Reactors power plants that will be a critical and strategic player in the race to Net Zero carbon emissions globally. Spun out of Rolls-Royce with its pedigree in engineering excellence but also attracting world class inward investment this is an exciting new business with an optimistic opportunity to be a global player in the coming years.
Reporting to the Chief Development Engineer, the Research and Technology Manager is the principal point of contact within the business for all lower and middle TRL research and technology programmes. A key aspect of the role is to champion the adoption of technologies that support the key enablers for the SMR design concept such as modularisation, build certainty and reduced cost of operation. The R&T manager is also accountable for delivering a portfolio of research programmes with UK universities and other research institutions.
• Lead a team of 2 research engineers to deliver a range of technology programmes across various technology areas such as waste, chemistry and reactor physics.
• Deliver the programme for their accountable scope to cost and schedule, and to the requisite quality standards.
• Provide a “technology watch” facility for the SMR programme, identifying emerging and lower TRL technologies that could bring benefits to the SMR product and/or programme.
• Provide a “technology push” function, identifying candidate technologies from the nuclear industry and other adjacent industrial sectors (e.g. aerospace, oil & gas, automotive) that could offer potential benefits in areas such as cost, programme, capability to the SMR product.
• Act as supplier of a technology options to meet “product pull” requirements from the engineering design teams.
• Based on 4, 5 and 6 above, develop and maintain an overarching technology strategy for the SMR programme, developing and executing technology development programmes to ensure delivery into the product design basis at appropriate points in the development programme.
• Maintain an up-to-date awareness of, and engagement with, UK and international research programmes of relevance to the SMR programme, facilitating engagement as required by the appropriate technical teams within the SMR business.
• Develop and maintain a network of research organisations such as universities, experimental facilities and national laboratories.
• Develop and maintain technical capabilities (headcount, skills, tools, methods, etc) within their team
• Apply appropriate process governance to all assigned activities in accordance with the SMR programme quality system.
• Understands the appropriate level of Risk in the Company.
• Has a grasp of any implications of Public Relations.
• Understands and applies appropriate Corporate Governance to decision making.
• Understands appropriate Commercial and Corporate law decision making.
• Understands Safety & UK Regulatory Affairs
Qualifications & Experience
• Qualified to a minimum of degree level in a science or engineering discipline
• Chartered Engineer (CEng) or equivalent
• A good understanding of the nuclear research landscape within both the UK and the global nuclear research community
• Experience of developing research and technology strategies (or similar) to support strategic business aims and market needs.
• Proven ability to work collaboratively with universities, national laboratories and other research institutions to deliver research and technology programmes.
• Good commercial awareness including especially around management of intellectual property
• Proven ability to lead technology development programmes including successful implementation of technologies within products or services
• Proven ability to lead a multi-disciplinary engineering team