Test Rig Design Lead - Thermal Hydraulic Testing
Test Rig Design Lead – Thermal Hydraulic Testing
Location: Hybrid working – remote and Warrington/Derby
Rolls-Royce SMR is a start-up joint special purpose vehicle (SPV) business, specifically created to design, construct and deliver a new fleet of Small Modular Reactors power plants that will be a critical and strategic player in the race to Net Zero carbon emissions globally.
The Development Engineering organisation is accountable for proving that the SMR power station design meets its objectives and requirements. This encompasses not just the domain of nuclear engineering, but the broader range of engineering functions necessary to deliver a major infrastructure project. The team’s remit includes defining the Verification Strategy for the power station and executing any verification activities that involve testing - and these range from laboratory-type tests through to highly complex system-level rig tests in some world-leading facilities.
This is a once in a generation opportunity to be at the centre of proving the design of a new nuclear power station and establishing a world class testing capability. Talented individuals are invited to join the innovative, dynamic, and open culture of the SMR Test Capability Team to deliver this opportunity.
Reporting to the Test Capability Manager, the Test Rig Design Lead will be responsible for technical and programme delivery of one or more thermal hydraulic test rigs. The role will involve leading a multidisciplinary engineering team to develop test rig designs through a gated review process, providing technical guidance and supervision, and engaging with internal and external stakeholders.
There are opportunities within the RR SMR programme to lead the design of a variety of exciting and complex thermal hydraulic test rigs which are required to verify the design of the SMRs innovative passive Reactor Safety Systems.
- Lead a multidisciplinary engineering team to develop test rigs from preliminary concept through to detailed design and supporting implementation, and operation; this will require the use of systems and process engineering techniques to ensure that an optimum design is produced.
- Provide guidance and supervision to Test Rig Design Engineers to support the generation of:
Engineering assessments such as fluid flow analyses to determine system pressure drops, define pump head/flow requirements, size vessels and define heat exchanger requirements.
Safety assessments such as HAZOPs and FMECAs to ensure the test rigs are safe by design.
Design documentations such as P&IDs, system descriptions and operating philosophies.
- Ensure quality is maintained throughout the design process by undertaking local technical reviews.
- Support the procurement team to identify and select suppliers and external facilities to deliver the test rigs. Build strong collaborative working relationships with suppliers.
- Develop robust plans for the assigned test rigs. Prioritise team activities to ensure delivery to cost, quality and schedule.
- Work closely with the programme management team to track progress and manage changes to the plan.
- Understand and articulate design and programme risks, managing them as appropriate with the Test Rig Design Manager.
- Act as technical authority for the assigned test rigs and represent the Rig Design Manager at technical and project reviews when required.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Qualified to degree level or equivalent in engineering, physical sciences, or a related discipline.
- Chartered Engineer (or equivalent) or working towards professional accreditation.
- Good knowledge of fluid-mechanics and thermodynamic fundamentals.
- Process system design experience, including responsibility for technical and project leadership in a relevant field. This could be gained from any process plant industry.
- Familiarity with systems engineering principles is desirable.