External Hazard Lead
Morson Talent are working exclusively with Rolls Royce SMR (Small Modular Reactors) to recruit an External Hazards Lead to join their team in Warrington.
Rolls-Royce SMR is a start-up joint special purpose vehicle (SPV) business, specifically created to design, construct and deliver a new fleet of Small Modular Reactors power plants that will be a critical and strategic player in the race to Net Zero carbon emissions globally. Spun out of Rolls-Royce with its pedigree in engineering excellence but also attracting world class inward investment this is an exciting new business with an optimistic opportunity to be a global player in the coming years.
Reporting to the Safety Analysis Team Lead, as the External Hazards Lead you will play a key role in supporting the development of the UK SMR Power Station and the successful completion of the Office for Nuclear Regulation (ONR) and the Environment Agency (EA) Generic Design Assessment (GDA) process.
• Own, develop and maintain the external hazards safety case programme as part of the overall GDA delivery programme.
• Line manage and develop a team of direct reports capable of developing external hazards case submissions.
• Ensuring that the appropriate level of quality and governance is applied to external hazards case submissions.
• Acting as a nuclear safety Technical Authority and be able to represent the project at appropriate internal technical and project reviews and at external meetings with the regulator and other stakeholders.
• Keeping up to date with developments in the nuclear industry and the work of the appropriate external industry groups in the UK and worldwide.
• Working with the Environmental and Security Case Leads to develop an optimised and holistic case.
• To work with the GDA PMO to plan and manage nuclear safety case work to meet technical, budget and SMR programme requirements.
• An understanding in the staged development of external hazard cases in support of a developing design to meet UK regulatory expectations
• In-depth knowledge of the types of external hazards that could impact the safe operation of a complex facility, such as an operating NPP, and in the derivation of withstand requirements
• Experience in the leadership of the production of external hazard case documentation.
• Familiarity of external hazards modelling tools
Qualifications & Experience
• Qualified to degree level or equivalent in Engineering, Maths, Physics or equivalent or significant relevant industry experience.
• Chartered or working towards Chartered status with a professional engineering, or equivalent, body.