Digital and Data Engineer
Digital and Data engineer
This is more than just a job; this is a legacy.
Reporting to the Digital and Data Manager, Digital and Data Engineers will be responsible for pioneering the digital and data methods and tools that need to be implemented in the SMR programme to underpin all aspects of our digital vision and strategy.
Rolls-Royce SMR was established with one clear goal - to deliver clean, affordable energy for all.
Rolls-Royce SMR offers a radically different approach to delivering nuclear power. A 90% factory-built solution, drastically reducing project risk, shortening construction times and increasing delivery certainty.
The Rolls-Royce SMR is a world-class global product for a global market - using established nuclear technology developed by a UK-based team building on decades of engineering, manufacturing and nuclear reactor design experience.
About the position
- Assess and develop future digital and data capabilities and technologies relevant to the SMR programme
- Working with state-of-the-art tools, assess future trends, and develop digital services as demonstrators and beta service offerings.
- Working with colleagues to understand and implement requirements
- Working with systems engineering methodology to support and secure the data supply chain, understanding how data is ingested from different sources and combined / transformed into a single data set.
- Develop processes to analyse, cleanse, join and transform data.
- Implementing designed / specified solutions into the chosen platform (e.g. Data Mesh)
- Working with colleagues to ensure that the infrastructure available can meet the solution requirements.
- Planning, designing, and conducting tests of solutions, correcting errors to achieve validated and verified results.
- Appreciate how to manage the data including security, archiving, structure, and storageConfidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. If you feel you meet 75% of the requirements for this role, we would love to hear from you.
- Knowledge of the development of APIs and applications involving the process, life cycle, and creation of software.
- Contribute to the development or implementation of applications that demonstrate and illustrate the impact of data science.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of applications that demonstrate and illustrate the impact of decision science and visualisations to develop next generation digital solutions.
- Trial new approaches, new techniques, new technologies, and assess the impact of the latest technology trends.
- Responsible for demonstrating how data, algorithms, programming, and visualisations can be employed to develop next generation data services.
Qualifications & Experience
- Degree level educated (or equivalent experience) in a subject / field with a mathematical, scientific, computing or engineering content.
Also, if you are considering a career move or a sector-jump, please get in touch, we welcome applications from people with transferable skills.
Pay and Benefits
A highly competitive salary is on offer along with a performance related bonus.
A range of flexible benefits are available to choose from, enabling you to create a bespoke package to suit your needs.
Travel: the location of work can be either Derby or Warrington.
Flexible working / hybrid and remote working patterns are available with agreement.
Working hours are 37.5 hrs per week with some additional hours as and when required.
Who we are
Rolls-Royce SMR’s small modular reactor (SMR) programme is the first of its kind in the UK.
A Rolls-Royce SMR power station will have the capacity to generate 470mw of low-carbon energy, equivalent to more than 150 onshore wind turbines. It will provide consistent baseload generation for at least 60 years, helping achieve the Government’s target of 24GW of nuclear energy by 2050.
In addition to stable base load power, Rolls-Royce SMRs will be able to provide energy for the manufacture of green hydrogen and synthetic fuels, to support the path to Net Zero and the decarbonisation of transport.
Out technology is based upon well-established Pressurised Water Reactor (PWR) technology, in use all over the world, but Rolls-Royce SMR’s unique approach will see the reactor components built in factory conditions and assembled on site.
Our factory-built model is entirely scalable, as demand increases, we invest in further factories using the same design and management systems used for all our SMRs.
When fully operational the Rolls-Royce SMR programme is forecast to create 40,000 regional UK jobs by 2050 and generate £52bn in economic benefit.
Having begun the design assessment process with the UK regulators, the organisation is at a point where it needs to significantly increase its workforce, offering candidates the opportunity to work with cutting edge technology within a world-class team.
How to apply
Rolls-Royce SMR is an equal opportunities employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
However you identify or whatever your path here, please apply if you see a position that interests or excites you. Come join us and help us build a global company where we're all proud to belong. Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate.
Rolls-Royce SMR is a place where everyone can grow, so whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to come into work every day.
If you are not yet ready to apply, but would like to find out more, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a confidential conversation with a recruitment partner.