Group Lead Mechanical Design
Job: Group Lead - Mechanical Design
Location: Derby or Warrington (Home based + some travel)
Salary: Competitive Salary + Package + Bonus
Rolls-Royce SMR is a start-up joint special purpose vehicle (SPV) business, specifically created to design, construct and deliver a new fleet of Small Modular Reactors power plants that will be a critical and strategic player in the race to Net Zero carbon emissions globally. Spun out of Rolls-Royce with its pedigree in engineering excellence but also attracting world class inward investment this is an exciting new business with an optimistic opportunity to be a global player in the coming years.
The role is responsible for leading a team on the design and delivery of the SMR Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing (MEP) modules and installation assemblies within the reactor design and the wider power station. The role will require technical leadership of a team of design engineers, providing guidance, technical checking, strategy development, and supporting the team through their work. The role will involve generation of team plans, managing the resource, and providing pastoral care, personal reviews and training plans.
From a technical perspective, the role will require the team to develop an understanding of the full lifecycle of the modules, generating arrangements, and determining manufacturing and installation methods. The role will require design experience in some or all of the following areas:
- Design for manufacturing of mechanical and electrical assemblies.
- Design for installation and Assembly of mechanical and electrical systems.
- Design for inspection and Commissioning of process plants.
- Design for through life inspection, operation, repair and replacement of mechanical and electrical process systems.
Applicants should have familiarity with the application of codes and standards through design, safety case engineering, requirements management, systems engineering methods, and verification and validation.
Knowledge of the application of risk management, data driven manufacturing and installation process improvement, and installation/construction schedules and planning are highly desirable.
Experience within the design of nuclear mechanical systems is highly desirable, but not mandated. Applicants with wider industry experience in the application of modularisation and mechanical design of process systems will also be considered.
The key responsibilities for the Group Lead - Mechanical Design include:
- Technical leadership and pastoral care for a team of design engineers.
- Generation and maintenance of plans (with support from planners), and the monitoring and reporting of progress.
- Production of integrated MEP solutions through concept design development and optioneering.
- Working with due regard to Health, Safety and Environment to ensure that work complies with all necessary corporate, business and legislative requirements and procedures.
- Understand the nature of the risks applicable to reactor installations and make decisions in accordance with this understanding and the programme risk profile. Clearly articulate the risks and manage as appropriate with the SMR project.
- Support the development of product configuration and data management.
- Deliver reactor installation designs and attributes that meet the customer requirements in respect of quality, time & cost.
- Working alongside integration and CAD engineers to develop arrangements of the installation assemblies.
- Ensure that quality is maintained throughout the SMR project lifecycle by undertaking appropriate technical reviews and providing the required inputs to the main project technical review gates.
- Qualified to degree level or equivalent in Mechanical Engineering or a related discipline.
- Experience in the leadership of an engineering team.
- Chartered Engineer (or working towards Chartership)
- Proven experience in the delivery of significant installation design programmes to time, cost and quality.
- Experience in leading the development of design solutions from initial concept through to detailed design definition using a robust Design Process, this will include experience of DfX and trade-off studies to ensure an optimum design solution is produced.
We aim to respond to suitable candidates within 5 working days. If you have not heard from us within this time, please feel free to contact us to receive feedback on your application and discuss.
To apply please send your CV to Kris Charnock at Morson or contact the Morson office for more information.