Lead Engineer - Cross Component
Job: Lead Engineer – Cross Component
Location: Derby or Warrington (Home based + some travel)
Salary: Competitive Salary + Package + Bonus
Rolls-Royce SMR is a start-up joint special purpose vehicle (SPV) business, specifically created to design, construct and deliver a new fleet of Small Modular Reactors power plants that will be a critical and strategic player in the race to Net Zero carbon emissions globally. Spun out of Rolls-Royce with its pedigree in engineering excellence but also attracting world class inward investment this is an exciting new business with an optimistic opportunity to be a global player in the coming years.
The Lead Engineer - Cross Component is a pivotal role in leading the development of the business and engineering foundations and infrastructure required to work effectively across the components team and ensuring efficient and effective implementation of key policies and processes in the SMR business. The candidate is responsible for ensuring foundational processes, procedures, guidance and policies are in place to ensure the success of the component development programmes. Of particular importance is development of the structural integrity policies and methods which are key to the SMR project’s ability to be an intelligent and competent organisation. The candidate shall facilitate the generation of information that feeds a multitude of different programmes which will help to embed and established standardised and improved ways of working across the team.
- Define and lead on the cross component demands on the project, ensuring foundations and enablers are in place to support the components programmes.
- Be proactive in identifying cross component needs and influencing the ways of working to positively drive changes into the business and be a key enable of efficiency gains.
- Lead the development of structural integrity supporting policies, requirements and methodologies and contribute to the generic policy development.
- Lead the implementation of the structural integrity policy within the component team.
- Lead on the implementation of any other demanded policy as required.
- Lead on the development of processes and standards required to support development of the component definitions.
- Lead standardisation of REDV information within the executive programmes to support the component programmes.
- Enable information to be shared across the components teams to ensure standardisation and lessons learnt are acted upon and effectively shared.
- Implement standard fixes to common problems experienced within the components team.
- Ensure inputs are delivered to support the components design programmes where these are standard across components.
- Lead a team of engineers in line with the resource demands of the area including people and permeance management.
- Identify needs of the team to perform the role effectively.
- It should be noted that as the project grows, there will be an expectation for the candidate to flex into the detailed engineering tasks from time to time and so there will be a transition into the pure Lead Engineer role.
- Qualified to degree level or equivalent in Mechanical Engineering or a related discipline.
- An engineer/leader with the ability to take ownership and autonomously lead the work assigned.
- Chartered Mechanical Engineer, or working towards it, with a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience.
- Excellent knowledge of the Product Development processes.
- In depth knowledge of relevant design codes, including the ASME III requirements for pressure boundary integrity and supplementary requirements for higher classifications.
- Broad knowledge of business and engineering processes and how they interact
- Ability to facilitate complicated interconnected conversations with multiple stakeholders from various disciplines and levels in the organisation.
- Ability to influence stakeholders, sometimes who hold senior positions.
- Ability to interpret generic policies and strategies in order to effectively lead the implementation at the working level.
- Ability to lead aspects of integrated cross functional programmes.
- Ability to stretch and flex within the scope of responsibility to support the needs of the programme.
- Competence of people management for a team of direct reports.
- Ability to get the best out of people in a complex and challenging project.
We aim to respond to suitable candidates within 5 working days. If you have not heard from us within this time, please feel free to contact us to receive feedback on your application and discuss.
To apply please send your CV to Kris Charnock at Morson or contact the Morson office for more information.