Lead Engineer - Component Design
Job: Lead Component Design Engineer
Location: Derby or Warrington (Home based + some travel)
Salary: Competitive Salary + Package + Bonus
Rolls-Royce SMR is a start-up joint special purpose vehicle (SPV) business, specifically created to design, construct and deliver a new fleet of Small Modular Reactors power plants that will be a critical and strategic player in the race to Net Zero carbon emissions globally. Spun out of Rolls-Royce with its pedigree in engineering excellence but also attracting world class inward investment this is an exciting new business with an optimistic opportunity to be a global player in the coming years.
The Lead Component Design Engineer will take accountability for components, lead work packages within the overall integrated programme scope and be technically responsible for those areas assigned. Reporting to the Component Design Lead, they will be accountable in delivering the work to cost, time and quality requirements by directing a team of engineers to create solutions and desired outcomes. There are opportunities within the following areas:
- Reactor Assembly, including RPV and CRDMs
- Tanks, Vessels and Miscellaneous Components
- Reactor Pressure Vessel Internals and In-Core Instrumentation
- Valves, Pipework and Auxiliary components
- Steam Generators and Heat Exchangers
- Lead key areas of the overall programme within assigned scope.
- Lead a team of engineers to deliver the outcomes required.
- Performance manage people assigned, sometimes on an agile and ad-hoc basis.
- Identify key members of the team and assign to IPTs on an agile basis when the needs demand.
- Deliver progress updates and risk escalation.
- Identify risks and mitigating actions, implementing plans and escalation as required.
- Deliver components designs technical attributes that meet the customer requirements in respect of quality, time & cost.
- Deliver the fully integrated digital design definition for the assigned scope.
- Deliver component designs in line with best practice and to standard policies and processes, to deliver robust, low-cost products that are optimised in line with Supply Chain and Manufacturing Capability which integrate operational experience and lessons learnt.
- Work across the power station islands, where demanded, to deliver standardisation and a commoditised approach to component development.
- Apply technical governance to assure a quality product design as delegated.
- Identify needs of the team to perform the role effectively.
- It should be noted that as the project grows, there will be an expectation for the candidate to flex into the detailed engineering tasks from time to time and so there will be a transition into the pure Lead Engineer role.
- Qualified to degree level in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent related discipline.
- An engineer/leader with the ability to take ownership and autonomously lead the work assigned.
- Chartered Mechanical Engineer, or working towards it, with a minimum of 5 years design experience including responsibility for technically leading design programmes in the assigned component area.
- Excellent knowledge of the assigned components and Product Development processes.
- Demonstrable experience of leading NPI projects, preferably within the Nuclear Industry.
- Ability to define structural analysis requirements and interpret results.
- Knowledge of Integrated Product Readiness processes with a good appreciation of other contributing functions such as manufacturing engineering, supply chain and V&V.
- Experience of applying systems engineering in a product development context.
- Sound knowledge of relevant design codes, including the ASME III requirements for pressure boundary integrity and supplementary requirements for higher classifications.
- Experience generating and development of programmes to deliver required scope
- Ability to plan, manage and execute technical work packages and report progress as required.
- Experience using planning software such as P6 or MSP.
- Experience with supply chain / manufacturing engagement.
- Ability to lead aspects of integrated cross functional programmes.
- Ability to stretch and flex within the scope of responsibility to support the needs of the programme.
- Proven track record of people management for a team of direct reports.
- Ability to get the best out of people in a complex and challenging project.
We aim to respond to suitable candidates within 5 working days. If you have not heard from us within this time, please feel free to contact us to receive feedback on your application and discuss.
To apply please send your CV to Kris Charnock at Morson or contact the Morson office for more information.