Component Design Engineer
Job: Component Design Engineer
Location: Derby or Warrington (Home based + some travel)
Salary: Competitive Salary + Package + Bonus
Rolls-Royce SMR is a start-up joint special purpose vehicle (SPV) business, specifically created to design, construct and deliver a new fleet of Small Modular Reactors power plants that will be a critical and strategic player in the race to Net Zero carbon emissions globally. Spun out of Rolls-Royce with its pedigree in engineering excellence but also attracting world class inward investment this is an exciting new business with an optimistic opportunity to be a global player in the coming years.
The Component Design Engineer will work within cross functional teams to deliver work packages that will contribute to the design solution in compliance with the functional and non-functional requirements. The design engineer will work with the requirements and design trades available to deliver optimised solutions for work assigned by the Lead Engineer – Component Design. There are opportunities within the following areas:
- Reactor Assembly, including RPV and CRDMs
- Tanks, Vessels and Miscellaneous Components
- Reactor Pressure Vessel Internals and In-Core Instrumentation
- Valves, Pipework and Auxiliary components
- Steam Generators and Heat Exchangers
- Deliver work packages in line with requirement to support the overall programme.
- Generate creative solutions to challenges, based on a balance of the project drivers and requirements.
- Identify and mitigate risks and opportunities.
- Deliver components designs technical attributes that meet the customer requirements in respect of quality, time & cost.
- Contribute to the fully integrated digital design definition for the assigned scope.
- Deliver work packaged in line with best practice and to standard policies and processes, to deliver robust, low-cost products that are optimised in line with Supply Chain and Manufacturing Capability which integrate operational experience and lessons learnt.
- Work across the power station islands, where demanded, to deliver standardisation and a commoditised approach to component development.
- Deliver work packages to achieve the component maturity to support the delivery, plant integration and business requirements.
- Ensure that quality is maintained throughout the project lifecycle by undertaking appropriate technical reviews and providing the required reactor components inputs to the project technical review gates.
- Represent the component area in forums as assigned.
- Qualified to degree level or equivalent in Mechanical Engineering or a related discipline.
- Working knowledge of relevant design codes, including the ASME III requirements for pressure boundary integrity and supplementary requirements for high integrity.
- Working knowledge of the assigned reactor island components.
- Experience in DfX and other processes to arrive at an optimised and cost-effective product solution.
- Working knowledge of standard engineering software packages such as Mathcad, CAD packages such as Siemens NX, PLM software such as Siemens Teamcenter is desired.
- Appreciation of structural analysis in context of the overall component design and the ability to perform low level calculations to underpin design decisions.
- Awareness of Manufacturing process and NDT techniques and the impact on product design.
- Membership of a professional engineering institution or working towards membership.
- Experience of working in agile IPTs.
- Experience of working in the Nuclear Industry is desirable.
- Experience in the interpretation of customer specifications and defining and managing the engineering requirements for the component using the Requirements Management process.
- Experience in leading the development of design solutions from initial concept through to detailed design definition using a robust Design Process, this will include experience of DfX and trade-off studies to ensure an optimum design solution is produced.
- Ability to plan, manage and execute technical work packages and report progress as required.
- Experience applying appropriate analysis methods to underpin concept definitions and support the justification of design solutions
- Ability to communicate effectively with any audience, quickly establishing credibility and buy-in.
- Ability to work independently and drive for delivery, ensuring quality and cost constraints are met.
- Ability to stretch and flex within the scope of responsibility to support the needs of the programme.
We aim to respond to suitable candidates within 5 working days. If you have not heard from us within this time, please feel free to contact us to receive feedback on your application and discuss.
To apply please send your CV to Kris Charnock at Morson or contact the Morson office for more information.