Verification Engineer - Civil Structural/Architectural
Verification Engineer - Civil Structural Architectural
Location: Hybrid working – remote and Warrington/Derby
Rolls-Royce SMR is a start-up joint special purpose vehicle (SPV) business, specifically created to design, construct and deliver a new fleet of Small Modular Reactors power plants that will be a critical and strategic player in the race to Net Zero carbon emissions globally.
The Civil / Structural Systems Engineer (Verification & Validation) will act as the focal point in verifying and validating that the civil & structural aspects of the SMR power station meet their requirements. As the civil design is one of the key innovation areas, you’ll be working with world-leading technology, and positively challenging convention.
The approach being adopted for verification & validation is based on Systems Engineering principles, which have been proven worldwide as a key tool in delivering highly complex products. Using these principles, you’ll work with design leads and specialists from across the engineering team to develop verification strategies that lay out the activities needed to show that the design meets its requirements.
You’ll also be involved in the work to validate the requirements, define physical test programmes, and oversee the wider programme of verification activities such as analysis tasks. The role provides a rare and exciting opportunity to get a broad overview of some of the key technical challenges in delivering a new nuclear power station.
- Defining and managing the design Verification Strategy for Civil and Structural aspects of the power station, bringing together expertise from across the wider engineering team.
- Applying technical knowledge to act as an Intelligent Customer when discussing methods of verification with design engineers and vendors
- Understanding the expectations of regulatory bodies for Verification Evidence and taking this into account for the Verification Strategy
- Defining the objectives for verification activities within the strategy (e.g. physical tests, analyses).
- Reviewing Civil/Structural -related verification activities to ensure they are conducted to the required standards of quality.
- Collating Civil/Structural -related verification evidence as it is produced and using it to assess design compliance to requirements
Qualifications & Experience:
- Degree level qualifications in Civil or Structural Engineering, or closely related discipline.
- Become professionally recognised through an appropriate professional body or be working towards it.
- A broad knowledge of Civil & Structural engineering issues – ideally with experience in design verification activities such as analysis or testing.
- A Systems Engineering mindset, and logical approach to solving complex problems
- A proactive, positive attitude, with the desire and ability to learn fast, challenge the status-quo, and make a difference.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills - able to bring together an interdisciplinary team to solve a problem, and to distil complex technical topics into simple forms.
- Experience of working with regulatory bodies such as the UK Office for Nuclear Regulation (ONR) and Environment Agency (EA) – though this desirable rather than essential.